If you’re looking to know how to install car speakers? then you are at the right place. Installing the best car speakers is one of the most affordable enhancements you can ever make to the audio system of your car.
Unless you bought the most recent car model that comes with superior quality sound, you probably don’t like the quality of your speaker’s sound. That’s why you may want to improve the speakers of your car to get more bass and higher sound quality.
These speakers are usually cheap to buy and installing them is just a breeze. You can install most speakers with the tools that you already have. Let’s first see the tools that you’ll need to get the job done right the first time.
The Tools You Need To Install Car Subwoofers and Car Amplifier
If you have decided to replace your car speakers, you have to know how to install new car speakers. Expectedly, replacing car speakers isn’t a daunting task, but it may need some practice.
Each car type has its kind of issues during installation, depending on various factors such as car’s factory wiring, mounting height and depth, and speaker factory locations.
Though some installations are just a walk in the park, some can get more complicated especially if you’re installing component speakers.
Lucky enough, most Car Speaker Brands always include detailed installation instructions, free wiring harnesses, brackets, and the list of the tools you need to have the job done. Most often, the tools you already have all you require to complete the task.
The Tools You Need May Include But Not Limited To:
- Screwdrivers such as offset screwdrivers, magnetic screwdrivers, flat-blade screwdrivers
- Drill including bits and screwdriver
- Stripper tool/wire cutter
- Allen wrenches
- Retaining clip remover
- Solder and soldering iron
- Electrical tape
- Torx drivers including bits
- Hobby knife
- Connectors and crimping tool
- A set of socket wrench
- Panel removal tool
How to determine what speakers fit my car
- A majority of online marketplaces such as Amazon may assist you to know whether a particular speaker will perfectly fit your vehicle. They have a wide range of vehicle selectors and large databases to help the buyer select the speaker that fit their car perfectly. So, what you’ll need to do is to identify the model of your car in the online vehicle selector.
- After you identify your car model, select your mounting location, and you will see all the car speakers that perfectly fist your vehicle. Some vehicle speakers may fit into the speaker factory openings and utilize the factory brackets and grilles.
- Other speaker sizes fit with the support of mounting brackets which comes with your speaker. Most online marketplaces will inform you of any potential challenge thanks to their detailed database of car information.
- Component systems of speakers include crossovers, tweeters, and separate car subwoofers. Woofers may fit in the speaker factory locations, but tweeters may need custom installation.
- For some additional speaker installation tips, check out our articles
- 1. What Speakers Fit My Car?
How To Replace Dash Speakers
- You will require having a 90 degrees screwdriver to reach the screws neighboring windshield. You may contact and replace a majority of dash speakers easily by removing the grilles.
- Most grilles are either held down by a few screws or friction fittings. You’ll have to pry up the friction fittings carefully if they are the ones that hold down the grilles of the speaker.
- To do this, use a panel tool to prevent cracking or scratching the dash. Once you remove the old speakers, use the wiring harness and get the new speakers attached to the system.
How To Replace Your Car’s Door Speakers
The door speakers of your car are a crucial component of a high-quality sound. They are just a snap to replace although this may vary from one model to another.
For cars that allow speakers’ replacement by removing the grilles and swapping them out, you’ll need to follow the following three steps to replace the door speaker.
- Step OneUninstall the grille together with the factory speaker. Some car manufacturers use foam or a sealant when mounting the speaker so you may need to cut such material with a hobby knife.
- Step two To disconnect the factory wiring harness and connect the new one to the terminals of the new speaker. It’s advisable that you test your speakers before putting them into place. Then place the new speaker into the door, and screw it down tightly. If you were installing coaxial speakers, you are all done.
- Step ThreeCheck your connections again and test them to ensure the speakers are working. Finally, connect the factory grilles.
How To Replace The Door Speakers Of Your Car When Required To Remove The Door Panel
It is incredibly rare to come across a vehicle, which allows you to replace its speakers by just removing the grilles.
Unfortunately, replacing speakers in modern cars is more complicated because you’ll have to disassemble the door panels before replacing the speakers.
Here are the steps you’ll need to follow:
- A. Remove the window’s crank or disconnect the car battery
- B. Disconnect more retaining clips or screws that hold the door panel
- C. Remove the panel using a flat screwdriver
- D. Once you remove the door panel, replace your door speakers as explained previously and mount it back
How To Modify The Door Of Your Car To Install Superior Sound Speakers
Having in mind that it is not all car speaker sizes that can fit a given car model, it is crucial to modify your car door to fit the new speakers.
This requires time and effort, but it’s worth it. Such modification will also enable you to place your speaker exactly where you want. You can choose whether to bottom-mount or top-mount the speaker.
This process can become more complicated because it involves cutting pressboard, plastic, metal and much more.
It is advisable not to do this on your own if you don’t pose the skills and experience needed. The installation process is covered right below.
- A. Look for the best speakers’ location. This can be quickly done by placing the template that comes with the instructions over the desired mounting areas.
- B. Check whether there are any obstructions or obstacles behind the surface
- C. Check whether the surface you are about to cut will interfere with installation in any way
- D. Look behind the panel of the door to see the amount of metal you require to cut from the frame of your door
- E. Tape your template on the right spot and trace with a pen
- F. Cut the circle out with a hobby knife
How To Install Rear Car Speakers
- Replacing the back car speakers may vary from one car to another. In most cases, you’ll need to remove the grille and swap out the car speakers.
- In others, you’ll need to remove the entire interior panel from the back deck to reach the speakers. As you’ve seen from our guide, installing new car speakers doesn’t have to be a confusing and complicated task.
- Just follow our easy to understand guide, and you’ll do the job right the first time. Wish you a prosperous DIY task!
- You can read more on What is a subwoofer?, How To Install A Subwoofer, Build Subwoofer Box and look at some of the best car subwoofers from our other guide.