For gamers, the worst thing that could happen is a computer freeze or slow loading times while playing. An SDD (Solid State Drive) will resolve all your computer’s performance problems.
Therefore in this buyer’s guide and review, we feature five of the best SDDs for gaming.
5 Best SSDs Comparison Guide
|Name||Form Factor||Storage||Price||Check Price !|
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
[usr 4.9 size=17]
Crucial MX300 1TB SATA
[usr 4.7 size=17]
#3SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SATA
[usr 4.6 size=17]
Toshiba OCZ Trion 150
[usr 4.7 size=17]
Samsung 850 PRO SATA
[usr 4.8 size=17]
Benefits Of Buying SSD ?
Some of the benefits of replacing your traditional HDD with an SSD for gaming include:
- Speed: An enhanced performance is the most significant benefit of using an SSD for gaming. Loading and installing games will be much faster therefore saving time.
- Reliability: An HDD’s interior is filled with moving components, and when overworked or used consistently, they tend to strain and therefore produce harsh vibrations that generate some noise. An SDD doesn’t have moving parts.
- Temperature: When gamers have competitions, the heavy usage of the machines strains the processor and graphic card which generate a lot of heat. An SDD helps reduce the heat output of the gaming system.
Things To Know Before Buying
- Storage Capacity: When you’re buying clothes, you don’t just pick the first one you see; you measure its size to see if it will fit you. The same principle applies here. Before buying an SSD, always consider its usage. If you’re planning to use it strictly for gaming, you need to get an SSD with a huge storage capacity of say 500GB at the minimum since games occupy a large space.
- Longevity: The lifespan of SSDs is greater than traditional HDDs because unlike HDDs, SSDs don’t have moving parts. This means that risk of mechanical failure is low since wear and tear from friction are eliminated and you also get a quieter storage device. The flipside to this is that SSDs are prone to power outages. Power loss when the device is running increases the risk of data corruption and may even cause device failure under extreme conditions.
- Performance: The main advantage SSDs have over HDD is that they are faster and more power efficient. Replacing an HDD with an SDD will greatly improve your computer’s boot up time, program launch and file transfers. The high performance of SSDs of HDDs makes it the storage device of choice for many people.
- Physical Specifications: When buying hardware, it’s wise to look for potential incompatibilities with your computer. You could buy the most advanced SSD but could end up being an expensive piece of useless hardware if you can’t mount it in your system. Ensure that the SSD you’re buying matches the physical properties of your computer.
- Pricing: Prices of SSDs have had an 89% dip since 2010. The same can be said of HDDs. SSds are still more expensive than HDDs, and so if you’re just looking at storage space and don’t care about anything else, the smart choice would be to go with an HDD. However, it is worth noting that the price of SDD have never been this low so they could represent the better value for money in the long run.
5 Best SSD for Gaming
Samsung is renowned globally for manufacturing electronic devices. Their SSD team specializes in creating storage devices to give their consumers ample space to store their media files and gaming files. An example of such a device and number one on our list is the 850 EVO 500GB. You can get the same model but with a capacity of up to 4TB.
The 850 EVO uses Samsung’s V-NAND technology for power to optimize performance and endurance. Its universal design means it can fit in almost all computing devices such as ultrabooks, laptops, and PCs.
Its reading speed of 540 MB/s and writing speed of 520 MB/s are further boosted by TurboWrite and RAPID mode to reach double speeds. The 850 EVO’s optimized performance allows processing of data by utilizing free RAM space as cache storage.
- V-NAND technology for boosting power and performance.
- Universal design allows it to be fitted in most computing devices.
- TurboWrite enhances writing performance.
- RAPID mode doubles reading and writing performance.
- Expensive compared to models such as the SanDisk Ultra II that offer the same storage capacity.
This Crucial MX300 is a product of Micron, a global manufacturer of electronic storage devices. This particular device powers up in seconds thanks to its 3D NAND technology. Once it boots, you can use it immediately whether you are copying or reading data.
Its extreme energy efficient technology helps reduce power consumed by the drive by a substantial amount thus extending your battery life. Its fast transfer speeds allow you to transfer huge files in a short period while also allowing you to copy and write multiple files at the same time.
You can also protect sensitive information and gaming files with multiple encryption systems that are readily available when you purchase this product. What’s more the Crucial MX300 does not overheat thanks to its advanced cooling technology that dynamically regulates component activity
- Instant power boots it up in seconds after plugging into PC.
- Micron quality is known to provide a higher level of reliability.
- Adaptive Thermal Protection technology for cooling system.
- Energy efficient to conserve your laptop’s charge.
- Loses data during power outage while copying.
SanDisk is a household name for storage devices. Their products are known for their reliability. An example is SanDisk Ultra II that boots up within seconds and delivers enhanced endurance and transfer speeds of about 550MB/s for reading and 500MB/s for writing.
In addition to quick data transfers and short load times, the SanDisk Ultra II offers a cooler and quieter computing service while also help preserve the battery life of your laptop. When you replace your old SSD with this SanDisk Ultra II, your laptop or PC will feel like a new machine with enhanced boot speeds and app response times.
What’s more, SanDisk has a real-time platform that lets you monitor the performance of your SSD to get the most out of it through disk analysis, firmware updates and alert warnings.
- Pocket-friendly compared to the Samsung 850 EVO.
- Durable thanks to its shock resistant case.
- Enhanced speed technology.
- Set-up and real-time drive status allows you to monitor the performance of the drive.
- Write speeds fluctuates a lot.
This Trion150 features the latest TLC NAND technology from Toshiba to enhance performance and reliability. It was designed to provide a solution for people who want to replace their old SSDs that were causing lags and freezes in computers.
When you replace your old SSD with this Toshiba OCZ Trion 150, you will enjoy faster system responses, faster file transfers, faster app responses and faster boot times. The Trion 150 series is designed to operate on minimum energy to help preserve battery life and be power efficient.
This SSD competes with the best when it comes to reading and write speeds. It can reach maximum read speeds of 550MB/s and maximum write speeds of 530MB/s with relative ease.
- Firmware updates and 24-hour forum support.
- Three years Shield Plus warranty.
- Most affordable model in its storage capacity class.
- Power efficient technology to preserve battery life.
- Allows data security and encryption to protect sensitive data.
- Loses data while transferring due to interruptions such as power outage or cold reboots.
Fifth on our list is the Samsung 850 PRO. If you’re wondering why a 256GB SSD makes our list, it is because the 850 PRO is the first SSD in the globe to feature the cutting edge 3D VNAND flash that redefines storage. This technology offers efficient power management, super-fast read and write performance and offers great reliability and endurance of a conventional flash disk.
The memory on the 850 PRO is fabricated with 3D V-NAND architecture that increases density by stacking 32 cell layers one over the other to boost performance. The life of this SSD is designed to handle a minimum of 150TB written over its entire lifetime. That equates to about 40GB read and write transfer over a span of ten years.
- Dynamic thermal guard protection protects the drive from overheating.
- Self-encrypting drive to provide encryption for sensitive information.
- Device sleep mode enhances power efficiency.
- Longevity – will easily give you ten years of service.
- Features the least disk space in our lineup.
- It’s clear to say that if you’re a gamer and haven’t upgraded to an SSD, then you’re loss. SDD are better equipped to deal with gaming, and the list we provided above will ensure you get the best of the best when it comes to SSD for gaming.