As at now, countless companies designing car speakers have taken over the market with all kinds of models and brands. Unless you are a genius or very lucky, judging the most suitable brand may not be as easy as you think.
However, the best remedy is to try out the product and get the first-hand experience. No more fretting since we’ve made everything simple by experimenting with various models and after that coming up with the perfect options.
Following our thorough test, we have helped you narrow down your choices further. We want you to have topnotch sound experience in your car with clear highs, mids, and lows. As an overview, our highest pick goes to Polk Audio DB651. This brand boasts superior audio quality, which is free from distortion, thanks to the cutting-edge driver technology.
It is very versatile, and therefore installation is compatible with almost all European vehicles. Furthermore, Polka Audio DB651 is resistant to weather and can withstand even the extreme water environments. Also when playing via the DVD player or using a Bluetooth adapter for car, you get to hear pure music as it is.
7 Best car speaker Comparison Guide
|Name||Speaker Size||Wattage||Price||Check Price !|
#1Polk Audio 2 Way Marine Car Speakers
#2Rockford Fosgate 3-Way Full-Range Coaxial Speaker
#3Pioneer 4-Way Car Stereo Speakers
#4JEEP WRANGLER JK KICKER SPEAKER
#5Alpine 2-Way Type-S Series Coaxial Car Speakers
#6Jl Audio C2-690tx 6x9-Inch 3 Way Speakers
#7JBL GTO939 Premium 6 x 9 Inches Co-Axial Speaker
Why You Should Bank on us
- After it dawned on me that most products are unlike what they claim to be, I got interested in audio speakers. Sometimes, you have to take music along with you, hence, the need for car speakers.
- For a while now, I’ve evaluated the technology behind these devices in a bid to know which one fits the bill. To up our game and be conversant with car speakers, we ensure to assess each one of them as they launch into the market.
- We not only do background research on their technology but also practically use them before the review.
Our Mode of Assessment
Hey fellow audiophiles, you undoubtedly need a car speaker because the pre-installed ones are real crap. You can’t feel the music in your veins. Moreover, some of the car audio systems are similarly bogus.
This uncertainty called for our vigilance when determining how effective a speaker can be. Below is what we count on during the assessment,
- Frequency range precision: If you don’t account for the altitude, room acoustics, or air pressure effects of the ambient environment, a given speaker would be impeccable. For car speakers, the frequency range is between 20 Hz to 20000Hz, a value that complements the human’s full-range hearing. However, the range may fluctuate depending on the individual’s age or effects resulting from exposure to louder music. In this case, it is vital that you test your hearing frequency before shopping for a car speaker. To examine the functionality of the car speaker, we use a microphone, a short tone within 20Hz to 20 kHz and a frequency analyzer. Depending on the position you’ll assume when listening to the music, you can place the microphone at that point. The frequency plug-in helps us to establish the typical frequency signature that the car speaker exhibits. Now that we already know the frequency range of the short tone, we can then compare it with the speaker’s signature sound. This procedure is helpful when weighing against different speakers.
- Decibels sensitivity: One of the most critical aspects to consider before purchasing a car speaker is its volume sensitivity. Generally, sensitivity is a determinant of the effectiveness of the sound system in converting the system’s power to volume. Since most manufacturers aim at luring unsuspecting consumers into buying their products, the listed sensitivity rating may be deceiving. Only a small percentage of audio devices give the spot on loudness rating. In our case, we use a decibel meter to determine the maximum volume the car speaker would produce. We set up the instrument a meter away as we adjust the stereo volumes at different levels. The most preferred variations are at 10 and 20 stereo levels.
- Power Handling Technique: Another most important factor to check out when shopping for a car speaker is the amount of power it can withstand. You don’t want to buy a system that would not run on your car or would end up blowing up due to the inability to handle the power. If you own a fully electric car or a high-quality car battery, then you ought to put this into consideration. Usually, there are two ratings, which are RMS and Peak. The former describes the extent of power a speaker can handle while the latter denotes the highest power it can handle at a time. To test for power-handling techniques of the car speaker, we subject it under some regulated noise signal. This test will confirm to us whether the speaker is undergoing some thermal or mechanical strain.
7 Best Car Speakers you can Buy in 2018
After testing different car speakers, we narrowed down to the top 7 best choices. To conclude the analysis, we depended on the consumer ratings, user reviews and the extensive research on these speakers. Afterward, we took the final step of practically trying them out before we could also make a review.
Polk Audio DB651 tops the list of the best car speakers you buy. They include two 2-way coaxial speakers, all of which can withstand even the extreme wet environment. These sound systems would fit in most 6×8”/5×7” and 6×9” speaker positions.
When you talk about excellent sound quality, the Polk Audio DB series are worth the crown. Each one of the speakers has a power handling capacity of up to 180 watts peak and 60 watts RMS.
These values suggest that Polk DB651 is high-powered. Besides, its design is unadulterated. The tweeter and woofer components are made of durable and reliable but light silk and polymer materials.
On the other hand, the speaker surround is rubber. You can’t feel any sound distortion because you get to hear exactly how the audio was intended to be.
- Easy to install
- A pivoting tweeter allows you to accurately direct sound towards the listener
- Guarantees a clean and distortion-free audio, thanks to the Dynamic Driver technology and the inbuilt crossovers
- Marine certified, hence able to withstand wet environments
- Liquid-cooled tweeter
- Sensitivity rating of 92 dB
- The frequency response is within the range of 35 Hz to 22kHz
- Fit easily in almost all vehicles
- When playing at maximum volume, the audio may sound distorted.
- Although it is marine certified, you just can’t just submerge in water since it might end up being damaged.
If you are looking to replace your car speakers to something with intense music feeling, Rockford is the alternative. It is a full-range component speaker, fitting in a 6×9” location.
Being a high-powered 3-way speaker, Rockford Fosgate has a power rating of 65 watts RMS. For quality, class, and durability, it has been designed with rubber surround, polypropylene cone, and a dome-shaped silk tweeter.
Additionally, this model features integrated crossovers, which differentiate between the tweeter and woofer frequencies. This separation assures you a clean and perfect sound, with zero distortion.
- Easy to set up, thanks to the included grilles and mounting hardware
- Power handling abilities of up to 65 watts RMS and 130 watts peak
- Made of great quality materials
- High sensitivity rating of 90 dB
- A frequency range of between 47 – 20000 Hz
- The power handling potential is slightly low; hence, the speaker is most likely to damage.
- Pioneer 5×7/6×8 Inch 4-way 350 Watt Car Stereo Speakers.
This brand is not only a leading producer of head units but also a pro for car speakers. For those looking for budget-friendly car speakers, which are below the 100 dollar mark, here is a mouth-watering deal.
Pioneer’s TS A6886R is a 4-way speaker with a maximum of 350 watts RMS. Each of the speakers handles up to 65 watts of power. With a frequency response of between 28Hz to 39 kHz, this model assures you perfect sound quality with clear highs, mids, and lows.
It has been constructed with paper cone tweeters, polymer speaker surround, and multilayer mica mid-woofer cone. These materials ensure that the system’s audio retains its originality with minimal distortions.
- Quite budget-friendly
- High sensitivity rating of 91 dB
- Excellent power handling capabilities, within the range of 5-60 watts RMS
- It produces accurate midrange and low frequencies
- One of the loudest speakers in the audio industry
- Just like most component speakers, installing TS-A6886R is complicated. Unless you are a professional, you will have difficulties setting it up.
With a maximum wattage of 150 and 75W RMS, Jeep Wrangler JK Kicker stands to be the most high-quality car speaker. It is very versatile, and you can install it almost anywhere in the car.
If you are looking to replace the factory vehicle stereo, either at the front or rear end, this model is the way to go.
Jeep Wrangler is a two-way door speaker, featuring foam surrounds and polymer cones. They have very crystal clear and noticeable mids and high notes.
- Quite easy to install
- Produce very crisp highs and midrange notes
- Quite affordable
- Sounds better than the previous stock 2.5s
- The bass or low notes are not as better as that produced by car subwoofers. As a result, you might consider an external car amplifier.
Crystal clear sound
Alpine SPS-610 is a 2-way speaker featuring most installation sizes. The sound system boasts excellent audio performance without consuming more power.
Its maximum power handling capability is 240 watts peak and 80 watts RMS. The materials used to design the SPS-610 stereo system are of high quality.
It includes a rubber surround, cone-shaped polypropylene woofer, and a dome-shaped silk tweeter. The sensitivity rating is 88 dB while its frequency response rate is between 70-22000 Hz.
- An easy to install car speaker
- Produce crystal clear sound
- Fits in most vehicles
- Designed with excellent materials which never interferes with your listening experience
- The power rating is lower than the average values common to car speakers
Excellent comparative loudness
Featuring 70 watts RMS power and 4-ohm impedance, this 3-way car speaker is among the best sound systems you can shop. It delivers smooth lows, mids and high tones that would take your listening experience to another level.
C2-690tx has been designed with polypropylene cones, foam surround, and silk dome tweeters, which can efficiently handle pressure and high power.
Besides, it includes built-in crossovers to guarantee a clean distortion-free sound. Despite having low power handling competences, the high sensitivity rating comes in handy to ensure that the system achieves superb volume with less power.
- Easy to install, thanks to the included grilles
- Excellent comparative loudness
- High sensitivity rating of 93 dB
- Frequency response range between 53 Hz to 22 kHz
- Moderately lower power handling rating when compared to other models
If you are after replacing a dead factory-made car speaker or just seeking to explore beyond the average sound system, look no further than this model.
GTO939 is a 2-way speaker boasting a perfect high fidelity sound and unbeatable power handling rating of up to 200 watts.
Featuring a frequency response of 46 Hz to 21 kHz, JBL’s GTO939 produces very accurate sound with absolute precision. Coupled with high-end crossover components, you get to hear undistorted sound with clear highs and lows.
- Carbon-injected polypropylene cone-shaped woofers
- Adjustable tweeter volume levels
- Lower impedance
- 12 dB crossover components
- Unmatched power handling feature
- The peak power handling capability is quite lower than the expected value.
How to Make the Optimal Decision
- In the recent past, buying any product has become a real debate within oneself. There are many choices, options, and selections to make.
- Nonetheless, you can’t just walk into a shop, add a car speaker to your cart, and then walk out expecting to experience what you paid for.
- To the lucky few, this miracle will work out, but to the rest, be prepared to review the product negatively.
- Here are a few guidelines on what you should take into account,
- A. Understand the budget you are working with depending on what you can afford. In as much as quality corresponds with exorbitant prices, there are still inexpensive, high-quality car speakers to consider.
- B. Look out for the counterfeits because it may not be easy to tell the difference.
- C. Avoid any sound system that’s entirely made of plastic, unless you want a short music experience.
Further Considerations When Shopping for a Car Speaker
- Speaker DimensionsLet’s be open! You have at one point, needed a car stereo system and since you are not sure of the fitting size, you decided to search for ‘what speakers fit my car.’Car speakers come in assorted sizes and shapes. As a result, you need to be on your guard when making selections. Normally, the sizes range from 3.5 to about 7 inches, but 6.5” tends to be more popular. The initial step in making the right choice is by checking for the system’s dimensions on the user manual. This will help you know if the speaker features adjustable fittings or is static. If you have found the perfect match for your car, installing becomes more like a piece of cake. Most packages would come with universal speaker brackets, which make it easier for you to fix the speaker.
- ImpedanceA speaker’s impedance translates into the electrical resistance, measured in ohms. If the impedance is higher, shallow current will flow through the amplifier. Likewise, the opposite is applicable. If the resistance is too high, the power may not be enough to run the speaker. Besides, when it is too minimal, the speaker will drive in more current, which may end up overheating the system and subsequently causing damage. Therefore, it is very crucial for you to go for a car speaker with optimum impedance. A resistance rating of about 6-7 ohms or any that complements your car stereo system is excellent.
- Sound QualityThe sound quality of a speaker is dependent on some factors. The combination of the amplifier, sensitivity, speaker’s components, signal-to-noise ratio, and the sub-woofer would determine the outcome of your music. To get clear bass, mid-range, and perfect trebles, the audio quality must be top-notch. You only get to hear exactly how the sound was recorded without changing its quality. For instance, the frequency response should correspond to that of the human hearing with minimal loudness variation. Moreover, the material used to design the speaker would affect the sound output. A good material will have very little to no flexing, so as not interfere with the audio performance.
- Car Speaker MaterialsOne of the determinants of a speaker’s audio performance is the material used to design the cones. Generally, they can be made of paper, plastics, polypropylene, aluminum, titanium, fabric, or glass. If you’re looking for something durable, strong, and able to withstand the heat, you should go for a car speaker designed with expensive materials.
- TweeterWhen analyzing speakers, you can’t mention tweeters without including the sound quality in the same statement. These little cone-shaped devices determine the frequency response, and therefore the audio performance. Since the market is flooded with different brands, tweeters tend to vary on the material used to design it. They can be made of plastic, hardened fiber or metal. One of the characters that these devices exhibit include being strong, durable, and resistant to heat. If you want something worth the hype, you have to sacrifice more dollars for an expensive metal or fabric-made tweeter.
- WooferJust like tweeters, woofers are cone-shaped and designed from different materials, which contribute to the resultant audio quality. However, these are meant to produce low sounds. Considering that woofers are subjected to pressure from constant movement, they should be strong but light, and heat resistant. The cheapest design is constructed of paper while high-end models are metallic. For more sound precision, rigid materials are the way to go since they minimize flexing which would otherwise distort the sound.
- Surround MaterialsEvery component that makes up a car speaker will always have an impact on the quality of the audio. In this case, the car speaker casing may be made of rubber, polyester fibers, treated cloth, or Santoprene. As you pick on your sound system, put in mind that its surroundings should be durable, strong, and flexible enough to adjust to your car’s environmental conditions. When it comes to resistance in tearing, a treated cloth is our first choice. However, rubber is the next alternative since it is equally great.
- SensitivityA speaker’s sensitivity lies in the range of 87 to 90 decibels. The higher the value, the louder the car speaker, and the less power it will require. If the sound system has a sensitivity rating of below 85 dB, it will need some reasonable amount of power to achieve the perfect sound. Unless your car speaker has a rating of 16W RMS or over, you should go for higher sensitivity ratings.
- Additional Features
- 1.Detachable tweeters: If you are the kind of person who likes switching vehicles, a detachable tweeter is an ideal option, unless you have more bucks to spend on a new one. Considering that they are universal, removable tweeters can be used as a full-range or component system.
- 2.External Crossovers: External crossovers are common in full-range systems. They ensure you enjoy a clean and crisp sound by separating the frequencies sent to the tweeter and the woofer. This separation prevents the two components from producing unintended frequencies.
- 3.Pivoting Tweeters: If space and size are a limitation to you, you can make use of pivoting tweeters. These swiveling components are easy to move around and can be set up to direct the sound towards the listener.
- Cost of SpeakerThere is different types of car speakers, all of which come with a different price tag. In as much as component audio systems cost more, they often guarantee an unbeatable listening experience. You can play music straight from your device using the auxiliary cord or using the wireless Bluetooth FM transmitters. Depending on your needs, the car speaker you are replacing and the budget you are working with, you can still find a good sound device. However, the price of the entire set would determine its quality.
- Car ValuesA speaker may not necessarily raise the value of your car, but it will at least take your experience to another level. Most vehicles have very poor sound systems, but you can upgrade or replace them, according to your preference. You’ll get to understand that as the demand for high-end audio devices rises, so does the quality of the systems.
And The Last One: Component vs. Coaxial Car Speakers
- Coaxial sound systems are the most common car speakers, alternatively referred to as a full range. They comprise multiple drivers, which enable them to have the extensive range of frequencies.
- This system is convenient because it uses up very little space. On the other hand, component car speakers only have a single driver.
- This feature allows it to produce high, mid and low tones created by tweeters, mid-range speakers, and woofers, respectively.
- A good car speaker is not necessarily the most expensive. On the contrary, you can actually get better deals from as low as $50.
- If you get to enjoy every sound detail, without experiencing headaches, fatigue or grating your ears, then you have fallen for something great.
- Important aspects to consider include the sensitivity, frequency range, power-handling capacity and the material used to design the audio system.
- However, you should understand that a car speaker may have low power handling capabilities but its high sensitivity rating would fill the gap.
- You can read more on What is a subwoofer?, How To Install A Subwoofer, Build Subwoofer Box and look at some of the best car subwoofers from our other guide.